Including the correct keywords and phrases is an important step for successful search engine optimization. While increasing the traffic to your website is a must, attracting the right target audience is also equally important. Although it can take time to choose the right keywords, however, the results would be worth the effort.
In this article, we would be talking in detail about how to find out and generate good keywords for your website.
What is Keyword Research?
Keyword research can be understood as the process of discovering and analyzing terms that people search for in search engines. From this insight, one can get the actual search terms that can help in forming an effective content strategy, and ultimately the marketing strategy.
Why is Keyword Research Important?
Keyword research is a crucial part of SEO as it tells you the topics that people are searching for and how popular such topics are among your target audience. With keyword research, you can find out which terms are getting the most searches over a period and thus you can find out which content you should write on. If you research keywords for their popularity, search intent, and search volume, one can tackle any type of questions that people are looking for answers for.
How does Intent affect Keyword Research?
User intent is one of the most important factors when it comes to ranking high on search engines. A web page needs to address the problem that a user wants to solve rather than just carrying the specific keyword. Since the search intent is so important, one needs to be careful about how to interpret the target keywords.
To verify if the search intent of a user is there in a keyword, you need to enter the keyword in the search engine and check what kind of results come up.
Steps to Research Keywords for Your SEO Strategy
Keyword research plays a pivotal role in the SEO strategy. To find out the right keywords, just follow the below steps:
1. Research about your niche: You should study about the topic or the niche before you can find out the best keywords for optimizing your website. This might help you in finding out some different strategies and ideas for successful SEO. One can even try talking with existing customers or prospects to understand them better. You can even get involved in the online communities or forums in your niche.
2. Set your goals: One should define an end goal before making a plan. This will help you in providing a direction to your SEO strategy. The keywords need to be aligned according to the goals and accordingly segmented into the content marketing funnels. Goals provide a direction and framework for your content and the online marketing strategy.
3. List down relevant topics: Depending on the category of your business as well as your goals, list down the topics for which you want to rank on search engines. These topics need to be important to the business and related to the buyer persona. You can later break down these topics into relevant keywords.
4. List down the seed keywords: Seed keywords are focus keywords that the users are searching for and make the foundation of the whole keyword research. These keywords define your niche and help in identifying your competitors. You can use keyword research tools to find out the keywords. The major keyword research tools have been discussed further in this article.
5. Find out the search intent: Search intent can be understood as the reason or the intent behind why users search for a particular term. When you know about the search intent of the users, you can work on improving your keyword research. You should make a list of high-volume keywords that are related to the topic or brand.
6. Identify relevant long-tail keywords: While seed keywords are short search terms that are related to the brand’s category or topic, long-tail keywords are descriptive phrases. Long-tail keywords tend to get fewer clicks as they focus on a specific product or topic.
Best Keyword Research tools
Here are the Keyword research tools referred by one of the SEO experts in Sydney. The popular keyword research tools are as follows:
The keyword strategy needs to evolve with the search industry. It is important to think beyond singular phrases. For SEO Sydney experts and marketers, this means that there is a need to generate new keyword ideas regularly and understand how the users are searching.