There’s nothing better than knowing that you have a trip coming up. Everybody gets a frisson of excitement when they know that their plane tickets are booked, the hotel is ready and paid for, and they’re day trips to be had as soon as they arrive. Whether you are traveling to Europe, or you are going much further afield and go all the way to Australia, making travel more affordable should be your goal.
You need to know where the best tacos are, and where to leave luggage in Barcelona so you can really enjoy your day. Travel should be something available to you no matter who you are and what you do for a living. There are always ways that you can make travel much more affordable, to allow you to travel to the places you’ve always dreamt of visiting. Whether it’s packing lists or doing as the locals do or using a cashback credit card to help, there are so many ways you can continue to travel even when you feel like you may be a little bit broke. Here are five of the best ways to make travel more affordable.
- Start with packing less. If you plan to fly to your destination, rather than drive or take the train across Europe, pack less than you normally would. You will instantly save money on baggage fees. If you don’t wear 30 pairs of trousers in one week, the likelihood is you’re not going to use them all on holiday.
- Live like a local. While you are away, do as the locals do. Don’t do the typical touristy things like eating out every single night at expensive restaurants. Sure, tapas is nice, but do you really need to spend your money on high-end meals when you can be spending it on experiences? Okay, we understand that some high-end meals are an experience, but look at guest houses over villas, and share an Airbnb over a luxury hotel.
- Consider a credit card, but not too hard. Using a credit card to cover your trip can be a very bad idea. If you know you’re not going to be able to afford to pay it back you shouldn’t get a credit card. However, if you could use a credit card in your everyday life so that you can build points and save on your trip costs, that’s a very different thing.
- Reduce your need for transport. Other than the transport you need to get to your destination, cut down on your transport costs by spending most of your time going on foot or using a bicycle. You can also cut down on using transport by finding local things to do wherever you are.
- Go as a group. It doesn’t sound like it’s a way to make travel more affordable but it really is. More often than not, hotels will give you a discount for booking as a group. If you take a group trip with your friends or family, you may even be able to say save on trip packages of flights and you can speak to a travel agent to help you.
Image Source: Pexels